:: MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY - Next Event ::
:: MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY - SPONSOR NAVIGATION ::
Enjoy everything for which you should be thankful . . . and don't forget to check back often for details about the
2019 MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY CHAMPIONSHIP AWARDS BANQUET!
CLINTON BUZZES IN FROM IA TO GRAB THE $1,000-TO-WIN HORNET SWARM AT MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY!
By Dan Bailey
FOUNTAIN CITY, WI (Friday August 25, 2017) – Race fans were treated to a tremendous night of racing as almost 150 cars registered into the pits for the final
regular season points paying event of the 2017 season at - a night that would wrap up battles for 2017 track championships at MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY,
before the big specials ramp up to wrap up the year!
Coming into Friday night's event, MANY battles for positions throughout the point standings were still undecided in ALL divisions. The battles that took center
stage and garnered all the attention, however, were for the division championships in the Black Horse Bar & Grill USRA B-Mod division and the redbox+ 600 Mod
In the Black Horse Bar & Grill USRA B-Mod division four drivers - Alex Williamson (#15W), Parker Hale (#28 - 2015 MTS Track Champion), Erik Kanz (#23K - 2012 MTS
Track Champion), & Ryan Olson (#21) - entered the evening separated by just FIVE (5) points!
In the redbox+ 600 Mod division four drivers - Bruce Schmitt (#80), Greg Wohletz (#32 - 2012 MTS Track Champion), Chris Gilbertson (#4G - three regular season feature wins @ MTS), & Brad Kramer (#13 - 2 regular season feature wins @ MTS) - entered the evening separated by 62 points. In overall points, the order was Schmitt, Wohletz, Gilbertson, Kramer - but the 600 Mod drivers are allowed to drop their single worst regular season points finish from the total; meaning that after the mathematical gymnastics, the order was Wohletz, Schmitt, Gilbertson, Kramer. While Kramer, down by 46 points, probably didn't stand any chance at a championship - the top 3 (Wohletz, Schmitt & Gilbertson) were only separated by 10 points!
- Alex Williamson - 911 pts
- Ryan Olson - 910 pts
- Parker Hale - 909 pts
- Erik Kanz - 906 pts
Fans were going to need calculators as the evening progressed!
- Greg Wohletz - 894 pts
- Bruce Schmitt - 887 pts
- Chris Gilbertson - 884 pts
- Brad Kramer - 848 pts
Rivercity Manufacturing USRA Modifieds
Centerville Welding & Repair USRA Late Models presented by Big Toy Storage
- 2009 MTS Track Champion John Doelle (one feature win this season) rocketed away from the field at the drop of the green flag to lead the opening 24 laps of
the Rivercity Manufacturing USRA Modified feature
- At one point, Doelle's lead was almost ½ a straight away
- Behind Doelle, battles for position were fierce
- Outside pole sitter Brian Albrecht Kept his #6T7 in the top four, fending off multiple challenges from Keith Foss (#95 - 2 feature wins prior to Friday
night) and Dustin Sorensen (#19)
- On lap 13 Albrecht slipped behind two former track champions - Josh Angst (#99) and Lucas Schott (#69 - defending USRA NATIONAL CHAMPION) and settled into
this eventual 6th place finishing spot
- Foss, however, was gunning for the front of the field
- Lap after lap, Foss continued cutting into the lead that Doelle had established
- In the closing laps, Doelle and Foss began approaching the tail end of the lead lap of competitors
- On the final lap, Foss had caught Doelle and both had caught the #44 of Lee Roy Scharkey - ready to put Scharkey a lap down
- As the three raced out of turn 2 on the FINAL LAP, Doelle went to the outside (right) of Scharkey, Foss went to the inside (left) of Scharkey
- The three raced the length of the back straight THREE WIDE, and entered turn three the same!
- Foss got a better run through turns 3 & 4 and beat Doelle to the line by just slightly more than a tenth of a second!
- Behind Foss and Doelle, Josh Angst raced hard, but smart; his fifth place finish insured him of his fourth Track Championship at MISSISSIPPI THUNDER
SPEEDWAY (2016, 2013, 2010)
Black Horse Bar & Grill USRA B-Mods
- The Late Model feature was a wild one!
- Scheduled to be a 20-lap feature, Pole sitter Ryan Konkel led the opening lap before Mark Teske zipped by to take the lead
- On lap 6 Ryan Konkel blew his engine in-between turns 1 and 2 - spreading a heavy sheen of engine parts and slick oil all of the racing surface
- Car after car behind Konkel raced full speed into the oil and immediately lost traction
- Troy Langowski, Justin Sass and others all sliding up the banking unexpectedly and getting into the turn two wall
- But it was Derek Sutton who took the worst hit
- Sutton's #33 shot up the backing, careened off the turn two wall and turned nose first into the back straight wall
- Sutton's car launched straight up into the air, spinning 180 degrees around before dropping back down and rolling first onto its roof and then flopping over
onto its wheels
- Speedway officials immediately on the scene helped a dazed and sore Sutton from his totaled car just as the skies opened up with rain - ending the final
feature of the night at 6 laps
- Teske was awarded the feature win as his #9 had the lead on the last completed lap before the caution/red-flag/rain ended the feature
- Lance Hofer finished second - but more importantly grabbed his second MTS Track Champion (2015) with his #11.
Redbox+ 600 Mods
- Four heat races, a Last Chance Qualifier B-Main and an 18-lap feature . . . all needed to determine the 2017 Track Champion.
- JT Wasmund (#51W) jumped from the front row to lead the opening 8 laps before Shaun Walski zipped by and raced on to the feature win.
- Much of the attention, however, was focused on the afore mentioned 4 B-Mod drivers embroiled in the title chase!
- Parker Hale started fifth, dropped to sixth before battling Williamson and Olson for positions in the top 5.
- Kanz Came from 19th! And climbed as high as 10th before a spin on lap 8 forced him to restart at the back of the 22-car field - from which he could only
muster an 11th place finish.
- Hale battled to a third place finish, just inches ahead of Olson (who, obviously, finished 4th) while Williamson settled for an 8th place finish.
- When all was said and done, Parker Hale was crowned the MTS B-Mod Track Champion - his second championship added to his 2015 title.
Jailhouse Saloon USRA Hobby Stocks
- Three racers battling for the championship in the redbox+ 600 Mod division (as explained above)
- Wohletz appeared ready to grab his second championship, jumping to the lead and setting the pace for the opening 10 laps of the 18-lap feature
- On lap, however, Joe Provinzino snatched the top spot away from Wohletz, and Wohletz's race changed dramatically from there on out.
- First Schmitt got by, then Gilbertson, then Kyle Jumbeck - before Wohletz could battle back to salvage a 4th place finish
- Schmitt beat Gilbertson across the line by .015 seconds to garner the second place finish - enough to claim the Track Championship (his first ever)!
Harmston Trucking MTS Hornets
- Travis Krause (#X01) picked up his fourth straight USRA Feature win by beating Steve Dwyer (#7) and Brady Link (#29) to the finish of the Jailhouse Saloon
USRA Hobby Stock feature.
- Dwyer finished second, Link third.
USRA Stock Cars
- Friday was the make-up date of the prior week's running of the $1000-To-Win Harmston Trucking Hornet Swarm!
- Dylan Clinton raced in from Iowa and turned his very first visit to the MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY into a $1000 night!
Sunshine Refuse Slingshots
- Brayden Gjere collected his FIRST EVER feature win by driving his #23 USRA Stock Car around series hot shoe Pete Solum (#37).
- Mason Stockhausen won the JR Slingshot feature on the Lightning Speedway
- Jacob Peterson won the SR Slingshot feature
After a single week of silence, MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY will once again roar to life with the "6TH ANNUAL DAHL AUTO PLAZA MODIFIED NATIONALS - THE QUARTER
MILLION DOLLAR WEEKEND" September 7th through the 9th! Hope to see you all for this multi-evening night at MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY in Fountain City,
WI to "Feel the Thunder"
Get all the details HERE!
MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY is located 3.0 miles north of Fountain City on Wisconsin Highway 35. For more information, call 608-687-3282 or
visit www.MississippiThunder.com on the World Wide Web.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY is presenting its 9th season of top-notch dirt track action in Fountain City, WI. The high-banked 1/3 mile dark-clay oval is
quickly becoming known as one of the best speedways in the upper Midwest presenting dirt track racing in a fan and family friendly atmosphere every Friday night
throughout the racing season.
For all details, continue visiting the MISSISSIPPI THUNDER SPEEDWAY web site: www.MississippiThunder.com
RESULTS - FRIDAY AUGUST 25th - SEVERSON OIL NIGHT
MTS results at MyLaps.com
-- 30 --